Re: Segmentation fault in top -b1 -hc

On 2017-05-09, Bob McGowan <ramjr0915@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just tried the OP's command line and got the following error:
>
> $ top -b1 -hc
>   procps-ng 3.3.12
> Usage:
>   top -hv | -bcHiOSs -d secs -n max -u|U user -p pid(s) -o field -w [cols]
>
> I can say with assurance that I have not manually installed anything
> related to procps or top.
>
> And the policy for procps says:
>
> $ apt-cache policy procps
> procps:
>   Installed: 2:3.3.12-3
>   Candidate: 2:3.3.12-3
>   Version table:
>
> Those version numbers match the numeric part of the 'top' output.
>
> Could it be that Debian has just dropped the '-ng' from the name?

I'm reading that in 2011 Debian, Fedora and openSUSE forked procps (which became
'procps-ng'-- next generation). I guess the package has gone back to being
called procps (or something)?

https://gitlab.com/procps-ng/procps/wikis/faq

--
"It might be a vision--of a shell, of a wheelbarrow, of a fairy kingdom on the
far side of the hedge; or it might be the glory of speed; no one knew." --Mrs.