Re: Segmentation fault in top -b1 -hc

On 05/08/2017 03:28 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Mon, May 08, 2017 at 11:46:13AM +0200, Peter Ludikovsky wrote:
> On 05/08/2017 11:19 AM, Valentin Bajrami wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> There is a segmentation fault when top is used as follow
>>
>> top -b1 -hc
>>
>> I think the args are not parsed properly.  The version used is:
>> procps-ng version 3.3.10
>>
>> --
>> Met vriendelijke groet,
>>
>> Valentin Bajrami

> There's no package procps-ng [0].

Indeed. There seems to be one props-ng floating around, but it doesn't
come from Debian's official repos.

To find out where that package comes from, try

  apt-cache policy procps-ng-3.3.10

(or however that package is really called, you can find that out
with "aptitude search procps-ng" or something similar).

HTH
-- tomás

I just tried the OP's command line and got the following error:

$ top -b1 -hc
  procps-ng 3.3.12
Usage:
  top -hv | -bcHiOSs -d secs -n max -u|U user -p pid(s) -o field -w [cols]

I can say with assurance that I have not manually installed anything related to procps or top.

And the policy for procps says:

$ apt-cache policy procps
procps:
  Installed: 2:3.3.12-3
  Candidate: 2:3.3.12-3
  Version table:

Those version numbers match the numeric part of the 'top' output.

Could it be that Debian has just dropped the '-ng' from the name?

Bob