bleeding-edge MATE

I've installed MATE 1.18 into /usr/local/ and added /usr/local/share/xsessions to the sessions-director path in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf. At the Lightdm login screen, I can now select MATE for my desktop environment, but on logging in, MATE won't start. What's wrong? I don't see anything relevant in /var/log about this.

I can start mate-session in .xinitrc and use startx, but then MATE can't find any themes... and I really would rather use Lightdm.

Is anyone here tinkering with bleeding-edge MATE? How are you going about it?

--
David Griffith
dave@661.org