Re: Using 2nd monitor with Stretch and MATE desktop

Richard Owlett composed on 2017-05-09 10:57 (UTC-0500):

> I have a Lenovo T510 laptop -- wide and short display.

Googling tells me it's a 1600x900 15.6" display. Is that what your is? If so,
it's native pixel density is 117 DPI.

> When I chose a tri-focal readable font size it displays to few lines.

Too few lines in what context? Where you chose size, did it provide a numerical
value for the selected size? If so, what is it?

> I purchased a use 17 inch VGA display.

Resolution of a VGA display is 640x480, which for 17" is a pixel density of 47
DPI, magnitudes different from your laptop display. Did you really mean a
display that connects via a 15 pin VGA connector? If so, what are its
specifications?

> The MATE built in "help" is not detailed enough.
> I suspect the authors thought the configuration screen was intuitive.
> It's *NOT*.
> My web searches have turned up posts about external hardware I don't have.

> I need basic instructions *WITH PICTURES*.
> I want a full screen display on the laptop.
> I want a blow-up of a portion of the display on the external display.

To get what I think you're asking for likely will require manual configuration
with scripted xrandr or /etc/X11/xorg.conf*.

> I know it's physically possible because I'm staring at it.
> BUT can not predict what is displayed on external display.
> Help please.
Properly configured, what shows up on the external display should be controlled
by moving the mouse pointer toward the part of the laptop screen you wish to see
on the VGA screen.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/