Using 2nd monitor with Stretch and MATE desktop

I have a Lenovo T510 laptop -- wide and short display.
When I chose a tri-focal readable font size it displays to few lines.
I purchased a use 17 inch VGA display.
The MATE built in "help" is not detailed enough.
I suspect the authors thought the configuration screen was intuitive.
It's *NOT*.
My web searches have turned up posts about external hardware I don't have.

I need basic instructions *WITH PICTURES*.
I want a full screen display on the laptop.
I want a blow-up of a portion of the display on the external display.
I know it's physically possible because I'm staring at it.
BUT can not predict what is displayed on external display.
Help please.