Question about Increasing the size of the Primary Partition

	After using dd to copy a smaller disk image on to a
larger drive, I get the general idea that one leaves the starting
sector alone, deletes the remaining partition which is swap and
then changes the end point of the Primary partition to the
maximum number of sectors minus the swap space so that swap gets
moved and recreated as the last N sectors like it was on the
small drive.

	This should leave the primary partition properly
formatted with all it's files still intact but with a swath of
unformatted space which ends at the start of the swap sectors.

	What is the safe way to format that so that the primary
partition's files don't get clobbered and sda1 just gets larger?
In other words, the new formatting from mkfs shouldn't reset all
the used tracks and sectors which are what was the smaller drive.

	I did all this several years ago and have forgotten the
details.

	Thank you very much.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ