Re: Installation Input required

On Fri 05 May 2017 at 08:17:34 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 05/05/2017 04:49 AM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> >[snip]
> >This question was asked often enough to cause the existence of
> >  https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#not-all-images
> >which says
> >  "We don't store/serve the full set of ISO images for all
> >architectures, to reduce the amount of space taken up on the mirrors.
> >You can use the jigdo tool to recreate the missing ISO images
> >instead."
> >

> >The advantage of Jigdo for the DVD mirror servers is that the bulk
> >of data can be fetched from Debian servers which provide packages.
> >Jigdo loads a compressed ISO image with lots of holes and then loads
> >all the package files which fit exactly into the holes.
>
> That eases problems for Debian servers, I don't see an advantage to me.

That's because you're only thinking about your own space/bandwidth
consumption. However, if there are fewer servers, then those ones
will be busier, and download speeds suffer.

On dial-up, you pay for that speed reduction. In fact, when I used
dial-up at home, there were sites (like washington.edu, remember
Pine?) where it was worth telephoning my office machine (on broadband)
to start downloads there, then telephoning an hour later and
transferring the downloaded files (if they were ready) directly from
office to home, with no pausing. This was faster/cheaper than using the
ISP to download those files directly across the Atlantic.

Cheers,
David.