Re: Console fonts

On Wed 03 May 2017 at 09:31:37 (-0700), Larry Dighera wrote:
> On Tue, 2 May 2017 18:46:34 -0500, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> >On Tue 02 May 2017 at 12:20:01 (-0700), Larry Dighera wrote:
> >> Release-critical bugs status
> >>
> >> Tue May 2 17:00:00 UTC 2017
> >>
> >> Total number of release-critical bugs: 1649
> >> Number that have a patch: 271
> >> Number that have a fix prepared and waiting to upload: 38
> >> Number that are being ignored: 78
> >> Number concerning the current stable release: 699
> >> Number concerning the next release: 149
> >> ----
> >>
> >> The reason for installing Debian was because I have been impressed with its
> >> stability and few update issues compared to other Linux flavors I've used,
> >> so I was/am reluctant to overwrite Jessie with Stretch.
> >
> >Scaling up the words of that ridiculous advert:
> >699 (stable/jessie) is greater than 149 (testing/stretch).
> >
> >But, seriously, those figures need a lot of interpreting.
> >

> Are you intimating that the current stable Debian release (Jessie) contains
> ~4.5 times the number of release-critical bugs of stretch!?

That's right…and this ratio will increase until stretch is released.
If you look at the full history graph at
https://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/graph.png
you can see that as any release date approaches, the green line
(testing) falls (developers are squashing bugs in preparation for
release), but the blue line (stable) rises (bugs are still being
found). Security bugs get fixed in stable, but other bugs might
not be. If they get fixed in the upstream version, the status of
stable (it stays the same) prevents their upgrading and may
prevent their inclusion entirely.

Some background on bugs:

https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#severities
https://release.debian.org/testing/rc_policy.txt
https://people.debian.org/~vorlon/rc-bugsquashing.html

> >> Given the Udoo team claims to have installed Debian on their hardware, and
> >> Tails Linux runs on it, I'd prefer to sort out the issues, and see if I
> >> (we?) can effect a useable system.
> >
> >Reference? It's worth posting exactly what they installed;
> >distribution, kernel version, etc.
> >

> I have submitted that question to the Udoo support team, and am awaiting a
> response.
>
> Also, there is a post here
> http://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/debian-jessie-linux-os-installation.6819/#post-26261
> that indicates that "Debian Stretch
> (debian-stretch-DI-rc3-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso from
> [https://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/stretch_di_rc3/amd64/iso-cd/]) is
> working much better for me than Jessie..."

Yes, that post was what made me ask. I assume that ♂ is an ordinary
user from their joining date; prolific though. (Nice aeroplane, BTW.)

Cheers,
David.