Re: converting my local site to be https only access

On Tuesday 02 May 2017 06:35:19 Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 11:35:06PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > My web site (see the sig) is local, on this machine, in a pretty
> > tight sandbox, but not running https.
> >
> > Where can I find a tut that is a complete instruction set to have it
> > do an auto-redirect to itself, but using the "s" stuff regardless of
> > the accessing client as long as the client can handle the https
> > stuff this conversion will return to the client?
>
> Inferring that you are using apache2, a few notes from my observations
> of the thread as it currently stands.
>
> one of the instruction sets you were following was suggesting to use
> mod_rewrite. Personally, I think that's overkill. Achieving what you
> want is possible using a simple Redirect, which is provided by
> mod_rewrite, which is very likely already enabled (but if not, you can
> enable it in the same way, via symlink, which you can create via
> a2enmod, or by hand).
>
> We don't know how you have your site set up already, in particular
> whether or not you are using VirtualHosts. My advice would be to do so
> if you are not, so a "pre-step" would be migrating to them.
>
> Once using VirtualHosts, you can configure one to bind to port 80, and
> another to 443. From memory, it would look something like this
>
>  <VirtualHost *:80>
>    RedirectMatch permanent ^(.*)$ https://<YOUR SITE ADDRESS>$1
>  </VirtualHost>
>  <VirtualHost *:443>
>    # configuration for your website (now) lives here
>  </VirtualHost>
>
> Substituting <YOUR SITE ADDRESS> appropriately.

Humm, is this sounding like I should open up a fwd to port 443 on this
machine in dd-wrt? As it is, I am only NATing port 6309 to it via the
NAT menu. I have dd-wrt locked down pretty tightly.  No one has come
thru it in at least a decade except a friend, and I had to give him the
username & pw, twice, once for the router and once to get on into this
machine.

Right?

Thanks Jonathan.

> This is all from memory as I haven't used apache2 myself for many
> years (and looking back, having since used things like lighttpd and
> more recently nginx, the configuration language is much worse;
> stockholm syndrome whilst I was a user perhaps?)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)