Re: converting my local site to be https only access

On Tue, May 02, 2017 at 04:42:04PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Humm, is this sounding like I should open up a fwd to port 443 on this
> machine in dd-wrt? As it is, I am only NATing port 6309 to it via the
> NAT menu.

You will need to open another port up for HTTPS, yes, and 443 is the default.
If you open up 443, then https://<your URI> will work for browsers, otherwise
you'd need an explicit port e.g. https://<your URI>:1234, exactly the same as
you have for your current site over HTTP, not using port 80.

So long as you intend for attempts to connect to your non-SSL HTTP site to
be redirected to the HTTPS one, you will need two ports, as the HTTP site is
still listening and serving requests, even if they are all redirects.

(It might actually be technically possible to run HTTP and HTTPS on the same
port using some kind of clever detection scheme to see which the client was
using on connection, in the same way it is possible to multiplex HTTPS and
SSH on the same port; but it's a sufficiently niché trick that I don't
recommend trying it)

--
Jonathan Dowland