Re: converting my local site to be https only access

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017, Gene Heskett wrote:

On Sunday 30 April 2017 20:19:21 davidson@freevolt.org wrote:

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017, Gene Heskett wrote:
[trimmed]
lynx support at lynx.isc.org has been deleted. And it won't work
without talking to isc.org first.  Even after being re-installed.

Lynx works just fine. I expect your configuration file simply has some
references to obsolete remote locations.

Does this work?

  $ WWW_HOME="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEBKAC"; lynx

or this?

  $
WWW_HOME="file://localhost/REPLACE-ME-WITH-A-PATH-TO-SOME-LOCAL-HTML-D
OC.html" lynx

And does this...

  $ grep '^STARTFILE:' /etc/lynx-cur/lynx.cfg

...confirm that you have something obsolete like

  STARTFILE:http://lynx.isc.org/

in your lynx.cfg ?

it was.

Then fix that broken reference. Edit /etc/lynx-cur/lynx.cfg, replacing
that STARTFILE url with whatever you like.

FWIW, I think

  STARTFILE:file://localhost/~/

makes a sensible default.

except I am then trapped in my home dir.

Well, as Greg W. pointed out, you aren't really restricted to whatever
links happen to be present in the startfile/"Main screen".

When running in "Novice" mode, the shortcut key for loading an
arbitrary url (G) is helpfully listed at the bottom of every screen:

  Arrow keys: Up and Down to move.  Right to follow a link; Left to go back.
  H)elp O)ptions P)rint G)o M)ain screen Q)uit /=search [delete]=history list

But if you would like the default "Main screen" to be something more
web-access-centric, the choice is yours. Maybe

 STARTFILE:https://duckduckgo.com/lite/

or

 STARTFILE:https://www.google.com/

would fit the bill. Or something else entirely. Obviously you will
know better than I do what your users will find helpful.

Somebody upstream of us apparently thought that a site about lynx
would be a good initial default. Not a bad choice, if you ask me. Too
bad the site had to move.

Or, if for some incomprehensible reason you think a remote website is
an appropriate default startfile, you could use

   STARTFILE:http://lynx.invisible-island.net/

instead.

While you're at it, you might want to cast your eye over any other
lines returned by this...

  $ grep '^[A-Z_]*:[[:blank:]]*https\?://' /etc/lynx-cur/lynx.cfg

Which was a wisc.edu url.

Thought so: http://scout.wisc.edu/

Which was presumably the value of DEFAULT_INDEX_FILE .

Whatever scout.wisc.edu may have had there in the past, the content
currently shown on that page is pretty much worthless as a general web

So you'll probably change it to something better.

...and see if you wouldn't rather change them to something more
up-to-date, more reliable, or more appropriate for your installation.

So A: file a bug against lynx, best to remove it as its apparently
been EOL'd by isc.org

Huh? You would remove a program simply because isc.org removes a
couple web pages?

Development of lynx continues unabated:

  http://invisible-island.net/lynx/lynx-develop.html

Sorta seems to me that ought to be kept uptodate in re that by the
debian folks.

Sounds reasonable to me.

On the other hand, it is the site administrator, rather than Thomas
Dickey or the debian maintainer for lynx-cur, who is in the better
position to determine helpful values for both STARTFILE and
DEFAULT_INDEX_FILE in a given lynx install. I imagine (or hope) they
are frequently customised.

Anyways, maintenance of Wheezy is now in the hands of the Debian LTS
team:

 https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/FAQ#Where_can_bugs_be_reported.3F

  Where can bugs be reported?

   Please report bugs that you found in the packages to the
   debian-lts[1] mailing list. The bar for severity will be raised
   (minor issues will no longer be fixed).

   1. https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Contact#debian-lts

Good luck with your project.

I have atm, the darnest collection of Murphy's work I've ever seen. So I
am inclined to fire up amrecover, back it up a week, and recover
the /etc/apache2, /etc/httpd, and /var/www/html trees.  That sould put
me back to a working, non ssl, web server.  All this got started because
the next firefox says it will not look at a plain http site, and I was
trying to make robots.txt kick googlebot in the gonads and out of my
site, its eating more #$%& bandwidth than my site traffic is.  So once
I've restored normal http operations, I'll come back and see if I can
find some help converting it to https.

It'll be interesting to follow along.