Re: converting my local site to be https only access

On Sunday 30 April 2017 20:19:21 davidson@freevolt.org wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Apr 2017, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > I don't have 2.4, 2.2 here on wheezy.
> >
> > Looking in the docs/2.2/envvars reference and trying some of the
> > commands I find I apparently must specify the port # somehow.
> > apache2ctl cannot connect on port 80.  It apparently uses
> > /etc/alternatives/www-browser, which is a softlink to
> > /usrt/bin/lynx, and guess what?
> >
> > lynx support at lynx.isc.org has been deleted. And it won't work
> > without talking to isc.org first.  Even after being re-installed.
>
> Lynx works just fine. I expect your configuration file simply has some
> references to obsolete remote locations.
>
> Does this work?
>
>   $ WWW_HOME="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEBKAC"; lynx
>
> or this?
>
>   $
> WWW_HOME="file://localhost/REPLACE-ME-WITH-A-PATH-TO-SOME-LOCAL-HTML-D
>OC.html" lynx
>
> And does this...
>
>   $ grep '^STARTFILE:' /etc/lynx-cur/lynx.cfg
>
> ...confirm that you have something obsolete like
>
>   STARTFILE:http://lynx.isc.org/
>
> in your lynx.cfg ?

it was.

> Then fix that broken reference. Edit /etc/lynx-cur/lynx.cfg, replacing
> that STARTFILE url with whatever you like.
>
> FWIW, I think
>
>   STARTFILE:file://localhost/~/
>
> makes a sensible default.

except I am then trapped in my home dir.

> Or, if for some incomprehensible reason you think a remote website is
> an appropriate default startfile, you could use
>
>    STARTFILE:http://lynx.invisible-island.net/
>
> instead.
>
> While you're at it, you might want to cast your eye over any other
> lines returned by this...
>
>   $ grep '^[A-Z_]*:[[:blank:]]*https\?://' /etc/lynx-cur/lynx.cfg

Which was a wisc.edu url.

> ...and see if you wouldn't rather change them to something more
> up-to-date, more reliable, or more appropriate for your installation.
>
> > So A: file a bug against lynx, best to remove it as its apparently
> > been EOL'd by isc.org
>
> Huh? You would remove a program simply because isc.org removes a
> couple web pages?
>
> Development of lynx continues unabated:
>
>   http://invisible-island.net/lynx/lynx-develop.html

Sorta seems to me that ought to be kept uptodate in re that by the debian
folks.
> Good luck with your project.

I have atm, the darnest collection of Murphy's work I've ever seen. So I
am inclined to fire up amrecover, back it up a week, and recover
the /etc/apache2, /etc/httpd, and /var/www/html trees.  That sould put
me back to a working, non ssl, web server.  All this got started because
the next firefox says it will not look at a plain http site, and I was
trying to make robots.txt kick googlebot in the gonads and out of my
site, its eating more #$%& bandwidth than my site traffic is.  So once
I've restored normal http operations, I'll come back and see if I can
find some help converting it to https.

Thank you davidson@freevolt.org.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)