Keyboard woes with X forwarding

Hello

My main PC runs Debian Jessie and supports 2 virtual Windows machines
using VirtualBox. On the Windows machines I run Logmein which allows me
to access the Windows machines from my Android tablet when on the road.

I have installed Xming on the VMs and sometimes use SSH with X
forwarding using PuTTY to access the Jessie host once logged remotely
into the VMs. Then I have been known to fire up X apps, eg IntelliJ IDEA
Community Edition, to work on code while on the road.

Everything basically works, except I have found that the backspace key
on my Android bluetooth keyboard does not work with the X apps. Also
Delete.

Backspace and Delete work fine in the Windows environment, ie after
logging in to the VM with Logmein, so there is nothing wrong with the
keyboard or the keyboard setup at the tablet end.

When I SSH into the Jessie Host from the VM, the shell that comes up
also has a working backspace.

But, when I then use that shell to launch an X app, the launched app
does not respond when I press backspace.

The info I could find from Google is all about remapping the backspace
key so it generates the right keycode. So some step involving xmodmap.
But I think I have a more fundamental problem, as when I run xev from
the SSH shell and press the backspace key there is NO RESPONSE AT ALL.
So somehow the backspace keypress is not making it to the X app, as
opposed to being mapped to the wrong code.

So to summarise, remoted into Windows, no problem. SSH from there to
underlying Jessie host, no problem. Launch xev or other X app from that
session, including another Xterm, backspace keypresses do not seem to be
getting delivered.

Any ideas how I can diagnose this?

TIA

Mark