Re: BUG or OPERATOR error? - was [Re: Measuring aggregate internet useage?]

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 10:07:01AM -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 04/26/2017 08:36 AM, Brian wrote:

> >>I attempted to check this morning using
> >>  debian-stretch-DI-rc3-i386-netinst.iso
> >>
> >>I did an install using expert mode, not selecting any GUI.
> >>At several points during the install I did Alt-F2 to bring up a terminal to
> >>attempt running ifconfig.
> >>
> >>"Command not found" was the uniform response.
> >>I booted the new install and attempted as root to run ifconfig.
> >>I again got "Command not found".
> >>That seemed odd.
> >>
> >>Having previously done an install using the same ISO and having selected the
> >>MATE desktop, I repeated the above with the same error.
> >>
> >>I have no problem running ifconfig under Squeeze (8.6.0).
> >>
> >>Is it "bug" or "operator error"?
> >
> >Let us see how a reasonably experienced user could have investigated the
> >cause. The package which provides ifconfig can be found from 'dpkg -S'
> >on a machine which has it. Or from the packages page on the Debian web
> >site,
> >
> >The ISO can be opened up (I use mc) and the /pool/main directory entered.
> >Go to "n". See it? No? Not a bug, then.
>

> "ifconfig" has to be run as root.

If you want to change something, yes. If not -- no.

Perhaps you're being misled by the fact that ifconfig usually lives in
/usr/bin, which usually isn't in a regular user's path, Therefore, just
invoking "ifconfig" as a regular user ends (usually) like so:

  tomas@rasputin:~$ ifconfig
  bash: ifconfig: command not found

That means your shell isn't finding the command. That *doesn't mean" you
are not allowed to invoke it (nor is that the message on the wrapping :)

Try with full path:

  tomas@rasputin:~$ /sbin/ifconfig
  eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr f0:de:f1:71:84:41
            inet addr:10.10.69.65  Bcast:10.10.69.127  Mask:255.255.255.128
            [blah blah blah]

Now if you tried to change the IP address as a regular user...

  tomas@rasputin:~$ /sbin/ifconfig eth0 10.10.69.66
  SIOCSIFADDR: Operation not permitted
  SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not permitted

Ouch. My operating system scolded me. *That* was an authorization failure
(and not a "command not found"). "Read the message" [1]

Cheers

[1] Ed Krol "The Whole Internet User's Guide and Catalog"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_Internet_User%27s_Guide_and_Catalog

- - tomás