Re: BUG or OPERATOR error? - was [Re: Measuring aggregate internet useage?]

On Wed 26 Apr 2017 at 07:17:11 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 04/25/2017 08:17 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >>
> >>Is ifconfig available on a console during installation?
> >
> >I can not check at the moment.
>
> I attempted to check this morning using
>   debian-stretch-DI-rc3-i386-netinst.iso
>
> I did an install using expert mode, not selecting any GUI.
> At several points during the install I did Alt-F2 to bring up a terminal to
> attempt running ifconfig.
>
> "Command not found" was the uniform response.
> I booted the new install and attempted as root to run ifconfig.
> I again got "Command not found".
> That seemed odd.
>
> Having previously done an install using the same ISO and having selected the
> MATE desktop, I repeated the above with the same error.
>
> I have no problem running ifconfig under Squeeze (8.6.0).
>
> Is it "bug" or "operator error"?

Let us see how a reasonably experienced user could have investigated the
cause. The package which provides ifconfig can be found from 'dpkg -S'
on a machine which has it. Or from the packages page on the Debian web
site,

The ISO can be opened up (I use mc) and the /pool/main directory entered.
Go to "n". See it? No? Not a bug, then.

--
Brian.