BUG or OPERATOR error? - was [Re: Measuring aggregate internet useage?]

On 04/25/2017 08:17 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 04/24/2017 04:12 PM, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:
On 24/04/17 22:58, Richard Owlett wrote:
If there were user accessible registers with a running total of
uploaded/downloaded data since device power on would be almost ideal
granularity.

Is ifconfig available on a console during installation?

I can not check at the moment.

I attempted to check this morning using
  debian-stretch-DI-rc3-i386-netinst.iso

I did an install using expert mode, not selecting any GUI.
At several points during the install I did Alt-F2 to bring up a terminal to attempt running ifconfig.

"Command not found" was the uniform response.
I booted the new install and attempted as root to run ifconfig.
I again got "Command not found".
That seemed odd.

Having previously done an install using the same ISO and having selected the MATE desktop, I repeated the above with the same error.

I have no problem running ifconfig under Squeeze (8.6.0).

Is it "bug" or "operator error"?

The full version reports TX and RX data.

The last line when using the -a option is just what I want.
Thank you.