Re: Jessie for Udoo X86?

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 12:37:10PM -0700, Larry Dighera wrote:
> I'm familiar with the dmesg output at boot time.  I see that when I choose
> to boot into recovery mode from the grub menus.  When the scrolling text
> stops, I'm left with what I thought was a frozen screen, but it turns out to
> be login, without a prompt, waiting for me to provide the root password.
> Once I submit the root password, I have a command line interface to a
> reasonably functional Debian system.

As I said last week, the prompt IS displayed, but the kernel messages
from subsystems that are still being initialized may appear after it.
Thus, the prompt may be well hidden in the middle of unrelated output.

> What is the correct way to configure the system to boot to the command line
> UI instead of X11?  Do I need to edit things, or add files to, /etc/rc.d
> someplace?  Or is there a higher-level way to tell systemd that I prefer to
> manually launch X11?

There are multiple ways to do it, depending on which version of Debian
this is.  Some people favor one way over another.

Removing the display manager pacakge will definitely work.  If the
display manager does not exist, it can't be run.

Disabling the display manager service MAY work, depending on which init
system is in play.  If it's sysvinit, then removing the symlink from
/etc/rc2.d (or whatever your system's default run level is) should do it.
If it's systemd, then "systemctl disable whatever" may work, but I have
heard conflicting reports about this.

If it's systemd, another way is to change the default "target" (analogous
to run level).  Debian with systemd has adopted the old Red Hat convention
of having separate targets for "boot with a display manager" versus
"boot with all multi-user services except the display manager", and the
default is the one that includes the display manager.

To see the default target:

  $ systemctl get-default

To change the default target:

  # systemctl set-default multi-user.target

Here, "graphical.target" is the name of the one that includes the DM,
and "multi-user.target" is the one that does not.

Finally, I'm told there is a way to specify the target from the GRUB
menu as a kernel parameter, though I have never tried it myself:

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/19/html/Installation_Guide/s1-grub-targets.html

Of course this is a one-shot thing, not a permanent change to your boot
processes.