Re: Jessie for Udoo X86?

On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 15:51:00 +0000, GiaThnYgeia
<GiaThnYgeia@openmailbox.org> wrote:

>Eduard Bloch:
>> Hallo,
>> * Larry Dighera [Sun, Apr 16 2017, 09:27:46PM]:
>>>
>>> The new Udoo X86 boards have just begun to ship: <http://www.udoo.org/>.
>>>
>>> Is anyone able to provide a link to the 64-bit Debian Jessie USB/SD
>>> installation ISO/img?
>>
>> Did you try the regular installer from USB stick already?
>
>https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/
>
>If live runs well chances are that you can install it
>
>there is Puppy Linux among others that run entirely on RAM, once loaded
>no disk is required, ideally they will run as long as there is a
>continuous power supply.  Given enough ram you can modify most linux to
>run this way, but some are designed and modified specifically saving you
>the trouble.
>
>> Data sheet indicates that it supports "All Linux Flavors for x86". Which
>> means that it's probably usual Intel hardware inside. It might lack a
>> few drivers for recent hardware revisions but you could install a
>> kernel from jessie-backports in that case.
>
>Interesting and seems more potent than the raspberry system.  But if
>size did not matter so damn much for less money you can get a decent
>USFF box and throw the box away and pretend you are building from
>scratch.  I suspect the quality of some older USFF is higher.  Yes the
>processor and cooling aparatus is a bit bulky ... but it depends on the
>use and available space/weight requirement.

Thank you for your response.

I found the 'debian-8.7.1-amd64-DVD-1.iso' image here:
<http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-dvd/>, burned it to
SD card in a USB reader with Rufus <https://rufus.akeo.ie/>, and booted it
from USB on the Udoo X86 Advanced hardware (Intel quad-core Celeron N3160
2.24 GHz & Intel® Quark SE core 32 MHz plus 32-bit ARC core 32 MHz, Intel HD
Graphics 400 Up to 640 MHz 12 execution units, 4 GB DDR3L Dual Channel RAM
and 32GB eMMC Storage).

I selected the GUI Install from the menu, and all proceeded remarkably fast
and smooth without a hitch (except the WiFi, but gigabit Ethernet enabled
downloading all required additional files) until the last when it came to
grub.

The installer advised that it had detected another OS being installed, and
presented me with a few choices to which I wasn't sure of the correct one,
so I took the default.  That must have been wrong, as now Debian won't boot
with grub from the eMMC "Hard Drive."  I'm not at all familiar with grub.

I can boot into recovery mode though, and from the command line it appears
the install was successful.  So I'm close, but don't know exactly how to
proceed to make it bootable.

Any clues sincerely appreciated.