Re: new firefox for wheezy last night, can't do squat on the net today.

On Sun 23 Apr 2017 at 15:42:35 (-0700), Patrick Bartek wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 15:41:30 -0400 Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sunday 23 April 2017 15:15:05 Patrick Bartek wrote:
> >
> > > On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 00:21:28 -0400 Gene Heskett
> > > <gheskett@shentel.net>

> > > That's strange.  In your other posts you said you found that "new"
> > > version, but I get mine just by going to www.adobe.com, and at the
> > > bottom of the page, right side, click on "flashplayer."  That takes
> > > me to the download page with Linux 64bit already picked, I choose
> > > the tar.gz file even though there's a .deb one.  Download, unpack
> > > and copy as root libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
> > > after mv'ing the old version just in case. Done!
> > >
> > >  For years while using Fedora, manually was the ONLY way to install
> > > the flashplayer.  And since "install-flashplayer-nonfree" stopped
> > > working months ago, I reverted to my old Fedora habits..
> > >
> > > I noted as you did that there are a lot of other places for the
> > > player, mostly symbolic links, but the above works for me, so I keep
> > > doing it that way.
> > >
> > > As to how to find out when a new version is out, I wait until
> > > Firefox during my normal browsing notifies me my version is old and
> > > my system "..is at risk."  Then just do the manual download/install
> > > thing.  I don't use the Firefox link to the new version.  Have had
> > > problems with it before.

> > Problems is an understatement and I blame that for the mess I have
> > now.
> >
> > Its as if they intended to poison it. They just didn't use a strong
> > enough dose of arsenic, and created a monster with all the
> > workarounds.
> >
> > None of which ever worked 100% because the web pages all seemed to be
> > using a different version.  The "it works here" syndrome, essentially
> > the same as the N.I.H. beliefs. :(
>
> Well, I'm glad flash is dying.  Wish it would do so faster.

If you don't like flash, then don't use it. Don't install it if
you're worried you might accidently use it involuntarily.
But why the spite? Can't people who don't like flash just leave
the flash users alone? Where's the freedom in that attitude?

> On my
> Wheezy system my primary browser is Chrome, deprecated and
> unsupported for over a year now.  Or has it been two?  No new versions
> available. Pepperflash stopped working a few months ago. Never could
> fix it.  So, just disabled it. And the funny thing is, I rarely run
> into sites now that require it anymore.  HTML5 is being adopted rapidly.
> Still there are hold-outs. To be expected.
>
> As far as "works here," my primary system is a very non-standard install
> of Wheezy 64-bit on a box I built 10 years ago. (Hardware's been
> upgraded numerous times since.) Started with a Base Install Terminal
> Only, and built it up from there. Window manager only.  No display
> manager, no udisks, etc. Even wrote my own udev rules. Anyway, I figure
> if something works on my system, it should work on any "standard" system
> with all the Bells and Whistles, Linux or otherwise.

Cheers,
David.