Re: If Linux Is About Choice, Why Then ...

On 2017-04-08 at 05:56, Nicolas George wrote:

> Le nonidi 19 germinal, an CCXXV, Martin Read a écrit :
>
>> If a systemd unit for a particular service needs the attention of
>> an expert in order to be robust, the SysV-style RC script for the
>> same service probably also needs the attention of an expert in
>> order to be robust.
>>
>> As such, I find your suggestion that declarative configuration
>> causes 'stronger separation between "priests" and "mortals"' more
>> than a little bit questionable.
>
> I think Tomás is perfectly aware of that, and quoted that argument
> from systemd opponents without making it his own.
>
> But you raise an interesting point. The people who invoke that
> argument do not realize that they are already experts, "priests", of
> the shell scripting language.
>
> I think that explains some of the most vocal systemd opposition:
> systemd aims to get rid of the scoriae of the past, but since it is
> IMHO somewhat over-engineered, it has a learning curve that is rather
> steep at the beginning. People who painstakingly learned the
> specifics of shell scripts and init scripts are afraid that their
> skill will lose value or become obsolete and they will need to start
> again.

With the additional factor that expertise in shell is useful in multiple
contexts, but (AFAIK, though I'm not an authority here) expertise in
systemd unit files et al. is useful *only* in the context of systemd -
with the result that the former is both more rewarding to learn, and
more likely to be already known by someone who is new to what might be
called 'sysadmin work'.

(Though there's something to be said for a new-to-the-problem-domain
person starting from zero rather than having to unlearn things that may
be useful in other problem domains but aren't advisable in this one.)

--
   The Wanderer