Re: If Linux Is About Choice, Why Then ...

On Thu 06 Apr 2017 at 11:50:56 (+0100), Joe wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 12:13:06 +0200
> Nicolas George <george@nsup.org> wrote:
>
> > Le septidi 17 germinal, an CCXXV, Joe a écrit :
> > >		   Even if that could be fixed afterwards, then there
> > > will be server downtime and a manual procedure involved which will
> > > not be part of the upgrade procedure and therefore will not have
> > > been tested by the upgrade designers.
> >
> > Does that mean that apart from the systemd issue you expect
> > dist-upgrade to have been tested on your particular setup and to
> > finish without downtime and manual procedure?
> >

> On the whole, yes. I have only packages from the Debian repositories
> installed, plus some of my own scripts. If I follow the upgrade release
> notes to the letter, I expect every package to upgrade cleanly, with
> possibly some minor problems with scripts. I expect some problems with
> web pages from different versions of apache, php, etc., but I don't
> consider them to be operating system upgrade issues.
>
> Granted, there have been more little niggles with each upgrade (this
> machine started life as sarge), things get more complicated with each
> version.

I thought lenny→squeeze was the most complicated, because lenny's
standard kernel was not compatible with the upgrade process and
had to be upgraded in a preliminary step. That could then lead to
knock-on effects with non-free firmware. And, for safety, udev
had to be immediately upgraded because of the new kernel, then
the system rebooted to bring them into operation before the
upgrade.

> I'm not that bothered about downtime (within reason, the
> Debian lists get very stroppy when their emails bounce) but some people
> are.

A few minutes later you posted:

> If I was a paid admin looking after multiple servers, yes, that's the
> obvious thing to do. But this isn't my job, and I can't afford to buy a
> second set of hardware, so the only practical test is to actually do
> it.

How about getting those freeloading critics to fork out for
a new drive so that you can build and test a second system
(dual-bootable) during your scheduled downtimes.

> What is more worrying is having to wing it through a procedure
> which has not been tested fully and described in the upgrade documents,
> but it does appear that will not be the case here.

Cheers,
David.