Re: Finding firmware (and SHA sums etc), was Re: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Arch Linux recognize my Acer Aspire S wifi, debian does not

On Sun 02 Apr 2017 at 01:56:22 +1300, cbannister@slingshot.co.nz wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 07:13:26PM +0000, Brian wrote:
> > Apropos nothing. Columbus knew exactly where he was going and why. He
> > just didn't get there. The exact route he took didn't exist (or maybe
> > philosohically it did but hadn't been travelled). But it was planned
> > using the Google documentation of the time. Perhaps prospective
> > Debian users could plan their journey into the unknown in the same way.
> >
> > Point taken, though. Web page design requires the author to put herself
> > (or try to) in the position of a typical user.
> >
> > A good place to mention the firmware netinst ISO would be the Debian
> > front page instead of 4 or more layers down. Depends on how much of a
> > problem it is seen to be. Don't hold your breath waiting for a change;
> > there are other factors.
>
> Yeah, for some reason I too had problems navigating to the netinst image and
> It was just the plain vanila image without the firmware.

There is a prominent link on the front page to the netinst ISO. If this
is unseeable or unfindable you will have problems finding the unofficial
images.

> I ended up going to the wrong page about 3 times from different attempts, but
> as Steve has already mentioned, there is a bug open about this.

You are referring to #819664? Perhaps you would explain how this helps
with locating unofficial images? It might help for finding official ones
(which for "some reason" you were unable to spot on www.debian.org) and
that is good.

> So I agree, Mr Steve Wright is ... correct.
>
> Also downloading the installation manual to find out how to navigate to the
> download page sounds like something from Monty Python.

That is a misrepresention of the issue. No one is claiming that the
Manual is the way to find official images.

--
Brian.