Re: Finding firmware (and SHA sums etc), was Re: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Arch Linux recognize my Acer Aspire S wifi, debian does not

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 07:13:26PM +0000, Brian wrote:
> Apropos nothing. Columbus knew exactly where he was going and why. He
> just didn't get there. The exact route he took didn't exist (or maybe
> philosohically it did but hadn't been travelled). But it was planned
> using the Google documentation of the time. Perhaps prospective
> Debian users could plan their journey into the unknown in the same way.
>
> Point taken, though. Web page design requires the author to put herself
> (or try to) in the position of a typical user.
>
> A good place to mention the firmware netinst ISO would be the Debian
> front page instead of 4 or more layers down. Depends on how much of a
> problem it is seen to be. Don't hold your breath waiting for a change;
> there are other factors.

Yeah, for some reason I too had problems navigating to the netinst image and
It was just the plain vanila image without the firmware.

I ended up going to the wrong page about 3 times from different attempts, but
as Steve has already mentioned, there is a bug open about this.

So I agree, Mr Steve Wright is ... correct.

Also downloading the installation manual to find out how to navigate to the
download page sounds like something from Monty Python.

--
The media's the most powerful entity on earth.
They have the power to make the innocent guilty