New chromium install (on Jessie and Wheezy) won't load any pages

I recently installed chromium on my Jessie and Wheezy machines (because I had
a web page that wouldn't work properly in either Firefox (ESR) or Konqueror on
either machine.

I didn't do any digging so far--on both machines, I get basically a black
chromium "window" that displays a message that starts with "Aw, Snap!
Something went wrong...", and, on another line says "try these suggestions"
where suggestions is underlined (like a link).

Clicking on that link does nothing, nor can I load any other pages--I just get
/ see the same black window with the same messages.

I'm guessing I've overlooked something simple--suggestions?