Re: zenity --text-info autoscrolling?

On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 07:47:15 -0400
rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

>On Sunday, March 26, 2017 06:10:02 AM tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 06:51:06PM -0500, Jason wrote:
>> > Okay, if no one knows how to make zenity --text-info auto-scroll, what
>> > other suggestions would you have for displaying output of a shell script
>> > that is able to show the output of the current operation but with the
>> > option to scroll up to see previous lines?
>> >
>> > As an example of what I have in mind, I use rsync to make file backups
>> > and pipe the output into zenity (--text-info) to show what is being
>> > done. The only problem is that you have to keep scrolling down manually
>> > to see the last entry, which is not very convenient.
>>
>> I gave up zenity since long, and whenever I've to cobble up a small
>> GUI I went back to... Tcl/Tk.
>>
>> If you are interested, I could improvise something to get you started,
>> but perhaps it leads you too far away from your comfort zone.
>
>Jason,
>
>I don't know what you're doing exactly, but I'm tempted to suggest you simply
>use the non-GUI command line within something like a KDE konsole with tools
>like tail -f.  Yoiu could open (at least) two tabs, one to display the output
>(with tail -f or not--you can scroll within a konsole tab) and the 2nd to
>enter commands.
>
>If that sounds interesting, tell us more about what you're trying to do and
>I'm sure I or someone else can give you useful (that might come from someone
>else ;-) advice.

I have several different applications in mind, one of them is an automated backup of a
user's files using rsync in a shell script. The user triggers the script (possibly
using a desktop icon; no terminal or CLI involved) and is given the option to select which
external drive to use as the backup destination, and then rsync runs and dumps its output
into the zenity dialog, giving the user feedback of which files are being copied.

This is not a high priority problem, I just thought it would be nice to always have the
last lines visible instead of needing to manually scroll to the bottom.

Thanks for your reply.
Jason