Re: zenity --text-info autoscrolling?

On Sunday, March 26, 2017 06:10:02 AM tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 06:51:06PM -0500, Jason wrote:
> > Okay, if no one knows how to make zenity --text-info auto-scroll, what
> > other suggestions would you have for displaying output of a shell script
> > that is able to show the output of the current operation but with the
> > option to scroll up to see previous lines?
> >
> > As an example of what I have in mind, I use rsync to make file backups
> > and pipe the output into zenity (--text-info) to show what is being
> > done. The only problem is that you have to keep scrolling down manually
> > to see the last entry, which is not very convenient.
>
> I gave up zenity since long, and whenever I've to cobble up a small
> GUI I went back to... Tcl/Tk.
>
> If you are interested, I could improvise something to get you started,
> but perhaps it leads you too far away from your comfort zone.

Jason,

I don't know what you're doing exactly, but I'm tempted to suggest you simply
use the non-GUI command line within something like a KDE konsole with tools
like tail -f.  Yoiu could open (at least) two tabs, one to display the output
(with tail -f or not--you can scroll within a konsole tab) and the 2nd to
enter commands.

If that sounds interesting, tell us more about what you're trying to do and
I'm sure I or someone else can give you useful (that might come from someone
else ;-) advice.