Re: Guide(s?) to backup philosophies

On 03/23/2017 02:22 AM, Dan Purgert wrote:
David Christensen wrote:
On 03/22/2017 03:35 AM, Dan Purgert wrote:
David Christensen wrote:
On 03/17/2017 03:31 AM, Dan Purgert wrote:
David Christensen wrote:
On 03/13/2017 05:38 AM, Dan Purgert wrote:
[...]

I should clarify that:

     "The backup server can be firewalled with no incoming ports and
     outgoing ports limited to SSH and other required ports".

I still need to figure out the "other required outgoing ports".
Suggestions and comments are welcome.

Unfortunately, pretty much "all ephemeral ports", if the server is
running things that initiate connections.  Some programs allow you to
specify what ports they're connecting from, but not all.

I run ntpd on all my machines.  So, ports 123/tcp and 123/udp need to be
open for ongoing connections:

Good point, that :).  I was just making a comment about "other required
outgoing ports" (as many things just use an ephemeral port to initiate a
connection, rather than a defined port, as with ntp).

At this point, I have only implemented incoming firewalling on all of my computers. But, I do want to implement outgoing firewalling on the backup server. Figuring it out will be interesting.

[...]
VPN could work, but SSH into a jumpbox works just as well.

The push script checks /etc/resolv.conf for the local domain, if it's
mine, then backup to the backup-server directly.

If it's not mine, backup "critical files" to the jumpbox (which, in turn
is backed up to the backup-server). It's quite a bit smaller than the
full backups that're performed at home - just $HOME/vacation.

So, you have a static IP (or dynamic DNS) for your home Internet
connection, you have your home gateway configured to allow incoming SSH
connections and direct them to an internal host "jumpbox", and your
laptop has a backup script that detects whether the laptop is on your
LAN or on the Internet.  If on the LAN, the backup script exits and
waits for the backup server to pull a complete backup.  If on the
Internet, the backup script pushes critical files over SSH to a
receiving directory on "jumpbox" (?).

Close enough - the script on the laptops just switches between "rsync
everything to backup-server, because you're at home" and "rsync only the
'vacation' folder to jumpbox, because you're not"

So, your computers push backups to the backup server. I feel safer if the backup server pulls backups and all incoming ports are closed.

David