Re: Guide(s?) to backup philosophies

David Christensen wrote:
> On 03/22/2017 03:35 AM, Dan Purgert wrote:
>> David Christensen wrote:
>>>
>>> I should clarify that:
>>>
>>>      "The backup server can be firewalled with no incoming ports and
>>>      outgoing ports limited to SSH and other required ports".
>>>

>>> I still need to figure out the "other required outgoing ports".
>>> Suggestions and comments are welcome.
>>
>> Unfortunately, pretty much "all ephemeral ports", if the server is
>> running things that initiate connections.  Some programs allow you to
>> specify what ports they're connecting from, but not all.
>
> I run ntpd on all my machines.  So, ports 123/tcp and 123/udp need to be
> open for ongoing connections:

Good point, that :).  I was just making a comment about "other required
outgoing ports" (as many things just use an ephemeral port to initiate a
connection, rather than a defined port, as with ntp).

> [...]
>> VPN could work, but SSH into a jumpbox works just as well.
>>
>> The push script checks /etc/resolv.conf for the local domain, if it's
>> mine, then backup to the backup-server directly.
>>
>> If it's not mine, backup "critical files" to the jumpbox (which, in turn
>> is backed up to the backup-server). It's quite a bit smaller than the
>> full backups that're performed at home - just $HOME/vacation.
>
> So, you have a static IP (or dynamic DNS) for your home Internet
> connection, you have your home gateway configured to allow incoming SSH
> connections and direct them to an internal host "jumpbox", and your
> laptop has a backup script that detects whether the laptop is on your
> LAN or on the Internet.  If on the LAN, the backup script exits and
> waits for the backup server to pull a complete backup.  If on the
> Internet, the backup script pushes critical files over SSH to a
> receiving directory on "jumpbox" (?).

Close enough - the script on the laptops just switches between "rsync
everything to backup-server, because you're at home" and "rsync only the
'vacation' folder to jumpbox, because you're not"

--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947