Re: Guide(s?) to backup philosophies

David Christensen wrote:
> On 03/11/2017 07:10 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
>> I've vague ideas of what backup pattern(s) I might follow.
>> I'm looking for reading materials that might trigger "I hadn't thought
>> of that" moments.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>
> [1] is a decent overview:
>
> http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596102463.do
>
> [1] W. Curtis Preston, 2007, "Backup & Recovery Inexpensive Backup
> Solutions for Open Systems", O'Reilly Media, ISBN: 978-0-596-10246-3

I can only agree that O'Reilly books are well worth the price of
admission.

As for the backup schemes / plans (which I can only assume are in that
book, as I've not personally read it yet), I favor a 3-2-1 setup.

 - 3 copies (original, backup, backup of the backup)
 - 2 mediums (HDD & something else - right now optical ... though I
   really need to change that)
 - 1 offiite

Don't forget that "if you don't have a tested backup, you don't have
a backup."

Currently, the system here is

 - every PC has a cronjob backing up $HOME to a central "server" (read -
   repurposed PC with decent WD drives), just an rsync script that runs
   daily.
 - /path/to/backups/$user/Documents/ is tar'd weekly and burned to disc.
 - discs are copied, and taken to parents' place.  "Rolling Updates" are
   performed there (as the CD case / binder thing (see: [1]) is already
   full, take oldest set of discs, replace with the newest, repeat til
   full again, then start over at the beginning).

[1]
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/aplusautomation/vendorimages/b54c252f-3608-4565-814d-ab4ce301675c.jpg._CB317952912__SL300__.jpg

--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947