Re: Guide(s?) to backup philosophies

<tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 10:35:13AM -0000, Dan Purgert wrote:
>> David Christensen wrote:
>> >
>> > I should clarify that:
>> >
>> >      "The backup server can be firewalled with no incoming ports and
>> >      outgoing ports limited to SSH and other required ports".
>> >

>> > I still need to figure out the "other required outgoing ports".
>> > Suggestions and comments are welcome.
>>
>> Unfortunately, pretty much "all ephemeral ports", if the server is
>> running things that initiate connections.  Some programs allow you to
>> specify what ports they're connecting from, but not all.
>
> That's what ESTABLISHED is for, in firewall jargon (you accept packets
> belonging to an established TCP connection).

You're not gonna have any ESTABLISHED connections in your firewall if
you're _initiating_ the connection. ;)

if my firewall has the following rules:
 - default drop
 - rule 10 accept established

the command:
rsync (whatever switches) user@remote-host:/path/to/files/ /local/

Will fail to connect to remote-host, as the rsync command is not
connecting across a previously established link.

--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947