[retraction] aptitude is dangerous - any replacement?

On 2017-03-21 12:31:29 +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> I've just noticed that aptitude upgraded packages from unstable to
> experimental versions (just with 'U' from the UI) without any warning!!!

After a closer look, I've found that aptitude was not the culprit
here.

The apt-show-versions utility claimed that these packages were in
experimental, but this was a wrong assumption: in fact, there was
no reliable way to determine the actual source (on another machine,
apt-show-versions claims that the same version comes from unstable).

That said, it is still possible that aptitude can install experimental
packages without any warning, and the developers don't want to fix
this bug:

(That time, the log was explicit about the installation of the
experimental version.)

Due to this bug, I've been using

  Aptitude::ProblemResolver::SolutionCost "safety, removals";

for one year, and it seems that this solves the problem with
experimental packages (but the drawback is that this does not
prevent removals as the default solution).