Re: aptitude is dangerous - any replacement?

Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.net> writes:

> I've just noticed that aptitude upgraded packages from unstable to
> experimental versions (just with 'U' from the UI) without any warning!!!
> Again.
>
> Is there any replacement? Or a way to make aptitude ignore
> experimental packages?
>
> Note: I still want to keep experimental in my sources.list for the
> cases where I *explicitly* request experimental packages.

See the apt_preferences man page for information on prioritizing
distributions.  My own preferences file contains

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 700

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 650

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 600

Package: *
Pin: release a=experimental
Pin-Priority: 550

So I see packages from all of these distributions, but when
automatically selecting versions to install it prefers testing, second
choice stable, third unstable and last experimental.