Re: problems after installing Debian

On 03/19/2017 07:18 PM, Harry wrote:
> Hi,
>      I have installed Debian 8.5.0 cinnamon i386 .I like the program
> after having a lot of crashes with linux mint !
> My problem now is i can't get anything to play a video disc , Totem
> does'nt work , video player gives the message could not support
> initializing library.
The problem is that the Debian repositories do not have the libdvdcss
library, which is required for most modern DVDs.  I have had the same
problem, and have had to solve it.  Add the following line to your
/etc/apt/sources.list file:

	deb http://download.videolan.org/pub/debian/stable/ /

Once this is added to sources.list, run:
	sudo apt-get update
(or press the reload button in synaptic)
Then run:
	sudo apt-get install libdvdcss
(or select the package of that name in synaptic and install it)
This should solve your problem.

This library is written and provided by the same group that writes the
VLC media player, and works rather well.

--
73's,
WB5VQX -- The Very Quick X-ray