problems after installing Debian

Hi,
     I have installed Debian 8.5.0 cinnamon i386 .I like the program  after having a lot of crashes with linux mint !
My problem now is i can't get anything to play a video disc , Totem does'nt work , video player gives the message could not support initializing library.
Forums  suggest uninstalling gstreamer but then i find theres  several in the the system , so which one or all ??
Nothing seems to  help . I thought of updating  Debian but i can't find out how to do that either ! Linux mint had a simple update manager .
Hope you can help .
                                     Thank you , Harry