Re: Suitable text editor [NOT word processor] or workaround?

On 03/16/2017 07:27 AM, Andreas Ronnquist wrote:
On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 13:16:19 +0100,
Andreas Ronnquist<mailinglists@gusnan.se> wrote:

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 06:38:52 -0500,
Richard Owlett<rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

My environment is Jessie (8.6.0) with MATE desktop.
I require two things:
 1. a search and replace which can include a "newline" in new string.
 2. display/edit 2 files simultaneously *side by side*

MATE's standard editor (Pluma) can handle the first easily.

I see no way to open 2 instances of Pluma in separate windows - a la
Notepad in WindowsXP. Pluma will only open multiple files in multiple
tabs.

The two files are nearly identical and need them displayed
simultaneously for instant visual comparison. Opening one of the files
read only would be acceptable but not preferable.

You are looking for the --new-window option, from the terminal:

pluma file1.txt &
pluma --new-window file2.txt &

That's a neat solution.
What should I have read that I obviously didn't?

And there is a menu option when right-clicking a tab (if there is
more than one tab open in Pluma) - "Move to New Window"

(Both these options are on Pluma 1.16.0, from unstable - the
functionality might not be available in older versions).

It's not available in Pluma 1.8.1 but your first suggestion works nicely.
Thanks