Re: Suitable text editor [NOT word processor] or workaround?

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 09:47:31 AM tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> Your hunch isn't completely wrong. From Emac's wikipedia page:
>
>     The original EMACS was written in 1976 by David A. Moon and
>     Guy L. Steele, Jr. as a set of Editor MACroS for the TECO
>     editor. It was inspired by the ideas of the TECO-macro editors
>     TECMAC and TMACS.
>
>     The most popular, and most ported, version of Emacs is GNU Emacs,
>     which was created by Richard Stallman for the GNU Project.
>     XEmacs is a variant that branched from GNU Emacs in 1991. Both
>     GNU Emacs and XEmacs use Emacs Lisp and are for the most part
>     compatible with each other.

Interesting!

> Of course, when I say affectionately "Emacs" here, I'm thinking of
> GNU Emacs. And it has evolved... a bit since then.
>
> (And, BTW. you could do much worse than having Stefan around here ;-)
>
> Try it. You'll be overwhelmed. But you'll like it, promised.

Must be my day to write to lists...

Well, I did, and I didn't ;-)  That was on the order of 15 years ago.
Problems that I can remember centered around fonts, font sizes, readability,
and compatibility with my past experiences (which, by that time in my life,
were mostly Dos / Window editors--in particular, I loved (I think the name was
qedit--if there is a qedit now on Linux, I think it is something different than
I remember).

And, indeed, I might be misremembering the name.  It was a shareware editor,
and one of the few shareware programs I kept using (and paid for).