Re: [solved?] Re: Secure Boot won't let boot into Debian

On 26/02/17 02:04, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
How do I check if my machine is `64 or 32 bit'

I use "cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'model name'", to find the model name and look it up on Wikipedia or Google for the manufacturer data sheet. 64-bit support is often called "AMD64", or "x86-64" by non-AMD manufacturers.

If the "flags" section contains "lm", your CPU has 64-bit support, but might be IA64 (Itanium, Intel's 64-bit server architecture) rather than AMD64 (which Intel itself now uses). I find it easier to Google for the model as described above.

Most consumer desktop CPUs manufactured in the last five years have amd64 support, including, as far as I know, all Intel Core 2 Intel processors (since 2006), even the budget models with Pentium or Celeron branding. Some Atom CPUs support 64-bit, but not the earliest models.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director