Re: Crashes in Icedove on Stretch

On 02/15/2017 03:38 PM, David Wright wrote:
On Wed 15 Feb 2017 at 12:50:33 (-0500), Anthony Baldwin wrote:

On 02/15/2017 11:05 AM, David Wright wrote:
On Wed 15 Feb 2017 at 10:49:06 (-0500), Tony Baldwin wrote:

I get random ID crashes, pretty well daily, but no consistently
identifiable cause. It really seems to be occurring very randomly,
I'll just be reading messages when suddenly *pop* it dies like a
soap bubble on a Christmas tree, no error msg, no prior indication
of instability, etc.; Just sudden, random crashing. It generally
comes right back up without issue and functions normally afterwards.
Thankfully, it rarely does it while I'm composing a message, that
would REALLY annoy me, and I would likely have already appeared here
seeking a solution to the problem, but since, so far, it hasn't
caused me any real loss, but rather just minor annoyance, I haven't
mentioned it, until now.

If you compose in an editor like emacs, it auto-saves periodically.
With your email tmpdir set to /var/tmp, these will even survive reboots.

But why would I install an entire VM+OS like E.M.A.C.S. when Icedove
has its own message composer/editor ?
if I wanted to use a different editor I'd be using MUTT with VIM. ;-)

Indeed. But you wrote "Thankfully, it rarely does it while I'm
composing a message". So someone else (we're on a list) might
appreciate the advice. I was under the impression that changing the
composition editor in ID was not immediately obvious. Perhaps I'm
out of date here.

No. you're right. It is not obvious, in fact, I didn't know it could be done at all, tbh.
Sorry my attempt at humour was even less obvious, apparently.

Tony

--
http://tonybaldwin.me
all tony, all the time