Re: Problems with installing Debian-Testing in a Virtualbox and on an old Toshiba-Laptop

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 12:24:28 +0100 Michael Siemmeister
<m.siemmeister@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> This is the first time I am writing to a Debian mailing list.
> Therefore I don't really know whether or not this is the right place
> for this mail. Please tell me if not. I want to report the following
> problem.
>
> Last week I tried to install Debian in a virtual-box. Currently I use
> Debian 8.7 for running the virtual-box program. I managed to install
> Debian stable without any problems. Then I cloned the virtual-box and
> tried an upgrade to Debian-testing. I think, it worked. After a while
> I shut down the virtual-machine. When trying to reboot, it did not
> start properly. I just got some messages like 'Created slice User
> Slice of Debian-gdm.', 'Starting User Manager ofr UID 117.', and
> finally 'Started Daily apt activities.'. Then the virtual display just
> starts blinking. Nothing else happens. After three minutes or so the
> display freezes.
>
> Then I thought, okay, maybe the virtualbox program has got a bug. So,
> I downloaded the Debian-Testing-DVD-1 via jigdo-lite and copied it to
> a USB drive. I tried to install Debian-Testing on an old laptop, a
> Toshiba Satellite from 2009. Unfortunately I don' remember the exact
> model number. I had already installed Debian Stable without any
> problems on that laptop some months ago. The Debian-Testing installer
> worked fine and finally, it asked me to reboot the PC. After rebooting
> similar problems occured. There was a message about the graphics card
> and after 30 seconds the display started blinking. Nothing else
> happened.
>
> As I have written above these errors only occured with Debian-Testing.
> Debian-Stable worked fine on Virtualbox and the Toshiba laptop. So, I
> don't think there are some hardware problems.
>
> Now, the question remains, where to post this bug. I'd be glad at any
> help.

There's probably not any bug in VirtualBox.  You probably did something
that's causing your problems. Did you read the VirtualBox User Manual
first?. A wealth of information, and step-by-step instructions.

Also, did you install VirtualBox from the Debian repos?  My
suggestion is to download and install the appropriate version directly
from VirtualBox.  More current version.  The install will also create a
dedicated VirtualBox repo.  You'll still need to install a few other
things manually that VirtualBox uses, but are not a part of VirtualBox.
You still need to read the manual first.