Re: Re: Problems with installing Debian-Testing in a Virtualbox and on an old Toshiba-Laptop

Hi Daniel,

thanks for your answer.

I just tried it. Since I did not know anything about 'nomodeset', I
looked for it on the internet. I found this link:

https://support.reliablesite.net/kb/a240/how-to-set-nomodeset-into-the-grub-bootloader-debian-and-ubuntu-intel-core-i7-3770.aspx

and followed it until step 5, so I did:
"""
2. After completion reboot the server as normal but interrupt the
default boot in GRUB by hitting the arrow keys.

3. Highlight the very first, top option and hit 'e'

4. Scroll down on the editor and look for the line that starts with
'linux'. Once found append to the end of the line with 'nomodeset'

5. Press 'F10' to boot. The server should boot and not disconnect if
done correctly.
"""

I am not sure if I have done it correctly. The 'linux' line looked as
follows before pressing 'F10'.

linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.9.0-1-amd64 root=UUID=<a lot of numbers> ro quiet
nomodeset
(it is one line originally, despite being two in this mail)

The result was:

[drm:radeon_init [radeon]] *ERROR* No UMS support in radeon module!
kvm: disabled by bios
kvm: disabled by bios

Then the screen started blinking again.

I'd be really glad at any further help.