Re: DNS hits

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 04:11:13PM -0700, Glenn English wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 2:07 PM, Henning Follmann <hfollmann@itcfollmann.com
> > wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 10:58:54AM -0700, Glenn English wrote:

[...]

> Does your DNS answer recursive queries?
> >

> Oh, my lord. I didn't think it did -- I tried to configure BIND to do
> recursion only from my net. I just tried it from an external IP, and sure
> enough, it gave me an address for www.abc.com. But I just saw another
> config option that turns recursion off completely.
> I turned it off, and as expected, there's no recursion -- from my net or
> anywhere else. Bears a little more looking into. Surely there's a way to
> get BIND to do this little trick. Hopefully without going to that
> public/private mess. BIND is a mixed blessing.

Actually the current Bind in stable is just a blessing in this respect.
It -by default- just allows recursion for localnet, localhost.

So if you don't mess with it at all is does the right thing automagically.

Most likely if you remove anything you tried to configure in the options it
will work just the way you want.

[...]

-H

--