help needed with openssl please

Hi,

 I have some of my documents encrypted with openssl bf-cbc for confidentiality. I however see that after a dist-upgrade my new system is refusing to decrypting the data whereas my old systems are still decrypting the docs fine.

on my new system:

$ cat a.enc  | openssl bf-cbc -d > /tmp/a
enter bf-cbc decryption password:
bad decrypt
4146137408:error:06065064:digital envelope routines:EVP_DecryptFinal_ex:bad decrypt:crypto/evp/evp_enc.c:529:

$ openssl
OpenSSL> version
OpenSSL 1.1.0c  10 Nov 2016
OpenSSL>
<this new system is> 9.0 streetch

whereas the "same" file in old system
bcv@nas:/tmp$ cat a.enc  | openssl  bf-cbc  -d > a
enter bf-cbc decryption password:
bcv@nas:/tmp$ openssl
OpenSSL> version
OpenSSL 1.0.1e 11 Feb 2013
OpenSSL>
<this old system is>7.9 wheezy

Obviously I infer that there is no problem with the encrypted file as-it-is but has any defaults changed which I must now include in my command line parameters ?