Problem with Mate's Top Panel

After a default installation of Mate under Jessie there had been one icon and three text labels on the left end of the top panel.
The icon was the same icon associated with "Main Menu" in "Add to Panel".
The three text labels were Applications, Places, and System.

I had a flaky mouse that generated random click events while moving. SOMETHING was accidentally triggered.

I now have only the "Main Menu" icon. It has Applications, Places, and System as submenus. I wish to return to the original configuration. How?

The "Help" system is very un-helpful. All I could find was a description of the original configuration with nothing about restoring it if changed.

TIA