Re: Why packets (from my ISP to me) on the WAN VC side of my router are twice the size of packets on the Ethernet (and a corresponding twice as many bytes)

On Friday, February 10, 2017 06:56:10 AM Dan Purgert wrote:
> rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> Eh, I was thinking more stuff like Minecraft, Space Engineers, or other
> "real time" multiplayer games, where there is a fair bit of
> communication between the client and server.

I guessed that, which was why I provided the name of the game ;-)

> Got the thing, just didn't have any time to look yesterday.  Perhaps
> I'll have some time this afternoon.

No problem--and no real hurry--I guess the main reason to send it to you was
to have you confirm that I was describing the problem correctly.  At this
point, I'm almost 100% certain that I am.

> > Note that the counters on the Westell apparently rollover at 2^32, so the
> > formulas in my spreadsheet have to take that into account.  Some times
> > I have to manually adjust (once so far, and I did it by a slight
> > one-time revision to the formula in the given cell).
>
> Odd that they'd be using a 32-bit int in any devices these days, but
> meh.  However, that rollover will play all kinds of havoc with the
> numbers, unless you're resetting the counters every day.

I think you'll see (and agree) that the formulae in the spreadsheet compensate
for the rollover correctly, except in rare instances like the one mentioned
above.