Re: HELP! Re: How to fix I/O errors?

On 02/07/17 23:37, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> How it went is not well.

> David Christensen wrote:
>> Run memtest86+ for 24+ hours to verify that you don't have a memory
>> problem.

Did you test the memory?  If not, test it now just to be sure.

>> Use SeaTools to wipe the new 1 TB drive and run the short and long
>> tests.  Stop if anything fails.
I tested the new drive with SeagateTools and it
was fine.

Please confirm that you wiped the 1 TB recovery drive.

Then I made a clonezilla live CD and booted from it.  It stopped
on the first read error with a message saying to restart using the rescue
option.  I did that.  After 5 hours it finished without mentioning any
errors.

I tried to boot to the old disk (since it was still wired that way).  I got
dropped int a maintenance shell with fs errors in /dev/sda4 which is the
physical volume for all my LVM logical volumes -- /usr, /var, /home and
/temp.  It says to run fsck manually.

I decided to try the new drive, so I changed the cables and re-booted.

Maintenance shell, again.

/ mounted clean

lvm started

/home fs has errors run fsck (at this point, I'm afraid to try it)

/var, /usr, and /tmp all say that the superblock can not be read, or is
invalid.  Try running

e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
or
e2fsck -b 32768 <device>

Which do I use?

How did trying to clone the disk nake such a mess of BOTH disks?

Don't blame Clonezilla. Everything is decaying -- you, me, those hard drives, etc.. With that in mind, do the most precious operations first -- because in 1 second, 1 minute, 1 hour, 1 day, 1 month, 1 year, 1 decade, 1 century, whatever, the data will be inaccessible without extraordinary means.

Forget about booting off the failing 1 TB disk.  Disconnect it for now.

Forget about booting off the 1 TB recovery disk. It should now contain whatever blocks Clonezilla was able to recover. It is now in a state analogous to Swiss cheese. Disconnect it for now.

Any help getting a working system again will be greatly appreciated.

On the computer you use for e-mail, start an administration log folder for the machine in question. Start a log.txt file and take notes. Cut and paste what you can. Photograph screens and transcribe what you can't. Collect important files. Put it all into a version control system.

>> I'd do a fresh install on a 16+ GB SSD (USB flash drives also
>> work).

Install SSH when you build the new system drive.

Use ssh(1) to log in from your e-mail computer. Consider using script(1) to capture your console sessions, and scp(1) to copy out the files. Read fsck(8) and consider your moves carefully. Reconnect the 1 TB recovery disk and see what fsck can recover.

David