Re: apt's cache, was Re: Debian/Stretch - network-manager ...

On Wed 08 Feb 2017 at 16:18:15 (+0100), Michael Biebl wrote:
> Am 08.02.2017 um 15:38 schrieb David Wright:
> > If you're worried about losing your .deb files, just copy
> > them (as a user) or move them (as root) anywhere else,
> > depending on how much storage you have. Using any of the -i
> > -n -u options will avoid unnecessary overwriting.
>
> Older deb files can be retrieved via http://snapshot.debian.org/.

True, but my reply was to someone worried about lacking Internet
access at home, who said:

>>> People in my Shoes
>>> don't have the luxury of just hopping into the car any ol' time of day
>>> or night and running down to the library or wherever to gain Internet
>>> access long enough to replenish whatever was zapped by any not well
>>> known default setting.

One has to bear in mind that apt asks a lot of questions with
(a) a default answer and (b) no clearing of the type-ahead buffer.
So there may be people who live one keystroke away from accidentally
clearing their cache at times.

Cheers,
David.