apt's cache, was Re: Debian/Stretch - network-manager ...

On Mon 06 Feb 2017 at 00:16:57 (-0500), Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
[...]
> Where are you seeing packages deleted from? I'm THRILLED you're
> instead having to go to /var/cache/apt/archives because that means
> maybe my horde of dotDebs is still safe from some default. Then again,
[...]
> first came to mind upon reading that message I saw. People in my Shoes
> don't have the luxury of just hopping into the car any ol' time of day
> or night and running down to the library or wherever to gain Internet
> access long enough to replenish whatever was zapped by any not well
> known default setting.
>
> Yeah, /var/cache/apt/archives is exactly where I thought things were
> going to start being deleted. In my case, that's a humongous directory
> specifically k/t the fear of being cut off if I don't have the right
> backup package to fix accidental breakage and/or deletions. I just
> (manually) thinned that directory out a little, i.e. several thousand
> files, but it would still be embarrassing to brandish publicly after
> its recent diet. *grin*

If you're worried about losing your .deb files, just copy
them (as a user) or move them (as root) anywhere else,
depending on how much storage you have. Using any of the -i
-n -u options will avoid unnecessary overwriting.

Cheers,
David.