Re: Why packets (from my ISP to me) on the WAN VC side of my router are twice the size of packets on the Ethernet (and a corresponding twice as many bytes)

On Monday, February 06, 2017 06:24:40 PM Dan Purgert wrote:
> Could be MTU differences, and the router needing to do something (e.g.
> 1500 on the LAN side, and 1452 on the WAN, which is usually typical for
> DSL / PPPoE connections).

BTW, thanks Dan for your response--I hope the resent email is at least a
little easier to understand.

Maybe the following should be ignored, at least for now, because it seems it
would just add confusion to the situation:  I do have a spreadsheet of the
data I'm collecting (with some other data thrown in--I could trim that out and
send that to anybody that thought it would be helpful).

<the stuff that should probably be ignored:>

So, I guess the possibility that this suggests to me seems backwards--that is,
the opposite of what I am seeing.  I mean, if somewhere a 1500 byte packet has
to be packed into a 1452 byte packet, I suppose something might double the
size of the 1452 byte packet and just waste the leftover bytes in the two
packets (i.e., 1452 * 2 -1500 = 1404), but the packets are coming in on the
WAN side presumably at 1452 bytes and I would think they would fit fine in the
1500 byte packet on the LAN side.

(And I'm oversimplifying or misleading a little, because I'm not seeing twice
as many packets but instead packets that are twice as big (on the WAN side).)