Re: Why gets unattended-upgrades installed after Debian jessie -> Debian stretch upgrade?

On Monday 06 February 2017 18:24:38 Mart van de Wege wrote:
> Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> writes:
> >>
> >> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2016/11/msg00117.html
> >
> > Can it cope with a back-log?  Has anyone tried?
>
> We use it in production at work. Yes, it can, *provided* you don't have
> any config file changes. That, it can't handle.

That is very reassuring.  Do you feel like sharing your config file?

> And forgive me a bit of a rant: it's a stereotypical Ubuntu hack job:
> inefficient, chokes on fairly standard deviations from the norm and
> badly documented.

This is what I was rather afraid of.  And I have not found
<https://wiki.debian.org/UnattendedUpgrades>  reassuring, but I note that it
is nearly a year out of date.  I am hoping that now it is a default in new
installations, the config file is basically usable as a default as it stands.

> I agree with the developers' sentiment that automatic upgrades are a
> good thing, but I really think Debian could have cooked up a better
> script than !@#$% 'unattended-upgrades'.

I agree with the sentiment expressed later that I ought to write my  own if I
don't like what is offered, but I am after a reasonably safe way of getting
some fairly urgent security upgrades, and future urgent security upgrades,
done pending my coming to grips with ssh-ing in.

As a speaker at my local LUG helpfully said the other day, it is the router
that is the problem.  Yes, I know that it is the router that is the problem.
The trouble is, it *is* the problem!!

Lisi