Re: How to fix I/O errors?

On 02/06/17 07:22, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> writes:
I've found (and heard) that the worst thing I can do to a HDD is put
it on the shelf and let it rot.  I've had more than a few that failed
shortly after being put into a computer.

I hadn't heard this...  I've got a drive I've been keeping as a cold
spare.  Am I better off (in the sense of "is it more likely to actually
be useable when I need it") installing it and adding it to one of my
RAID1 arrays?  Can you point me to an article about it?

I don't know of a particular article. I just have personal experience and advice from other people (including a relative who worked for a HDD manufacturer).

David